8. Confusing words – 1
Choose the correct word for each sentence.
Note: Answer is the one that underlined.
- She works for an advertisement / advertising agency.
- How will the increase in interest rates affect / effect your sales?
- My bank manager has agreed to borrow / lend me another $2,000.
- We’ve had to cancel / postpone the meeting until next Monday.
- These machines are controlled / inspected at least once a day.
- My plane was delayed / postponed by an hour due to computer failure.
- Before coming here, I studied economics / economy at university.
- I am interested / interesting in their new camera.
- She applied for a job / work as a personnel officer.
- Some employees have a long journey / travel to work every day.
- The cost of life / livinghas gone up again.
- Please send precise measurements / measures when ordering.
- We expect prices to raise / rise by at least five percent.
- We only exchange goods if you produce a receipt / recipe.
- I must remember / remind the boss about that meeting this afternoon.
- Can you say / tell the difference between these two products?
- The company is extremely sensible / sensitive to any criticism.
- There’s some more paper in the stationary / stationery cupboard.
9. Banking Services
Fill each blank in the text with the correct word or phrase. Choose from the following list. Use each item once only.
commission issued statement credit rating
debited outstanding withdraw credit transfer
in full salaries banker’s draft financial institutions
interest slip cash dispenser standing order
Bank offers many services to business and their customers. Here are some of the most common:
Many people now have a card which enables them to 1. withdraw money from a 2. cash dispenser. You feed your card into the machine and key in your PIN (personal identification number) and the amount of money you want. If you have enough in your account, the money requested will be 3.issued up to a daily limit. Your account is automatically 4. debited for the amount you have drawn out.
Provided you have a sound 5.credit rating,you can get a credit card from a bank and other 6. financial institution. To obtain goods or services, you present your card and sign a special voucher. When it receives the voucher, the credit card company pays the trader (less a 7. commission) and then send you a monthly 8. slip. Depending on the type of card you have, you will either have to pay 9. in full or be able to pay part of what is owed and pay 10. interest in the balance left 11. statement.
If you need to make fixed payments at regular intervals, e.g. for insurance premiums, you can arrange a 12. credit transfer (sometimes known as a banker’s order) so that the bank will do this for you.
If you have several bills to pay, you can do this by 13. standing order . You write one cheque for the total sum involved, fill in a 14. Outstanding for each bill and hand everything to the bank cashier.
The transfer system is also used by employers to pay 15. salaries directly into employees’ bank accounts.
If you are dealing with a supplier for the first time, a 16. banker’s draft may be used as payment. This is a cheque guaranteed by a bank and therefore it is not likely to ‘bounce’.
47. What’s the job?
accountant clerk personnel officer
advertising executive computer operator R&D Manager
assembly person draughtsperson receptionist
chauffeur motor mechanic salesperson
You will be in charge of a team of highly creative individuals delivering new quality products and enhancing our existing range.
1. personnel officer
With particular responsibilities for recruitment and selection. Communication skills and a pragmatic approach to problem solving essential.
2. R&D Manager
With mechanical design experience to work as a member of a team producing designs and drawings for production. Experience of our products range is not essential.
Duties include filing, mailing, relief reception and other general office work.
Needed for night shift. Clean modern factory. Varied work. Good eyesight essential.
5. assembly person
Successful applicant will be articulate and presentable. Remuneration includes retainer and car allowance plus commission structure.
Reporting directly to Managing Director. You will take over financial control for all aspects of daily operation.
Sober habits, clean driving licence, able to be on call 7 days per week at times. Uniform supplied.
Must be experienced in the repair and maintenance of heavy duty vehicles. References must be provided from previous employers.
9. motor mechanic
You are the first person our clients will meet so you need to be friendly, stylish and efficient.
Some experience in the above-mentioned software is essential but training will be given to the successful applicant.
11. computer operator
You will be an essential member of an agency responsible for some of the country’s top accounts. You will be responsible for the administration of local and national promotions.
12. advertising executive
An advertising executive is a professional who works for an advertising agency and serves as liaison between the ad agency and its customers
Complete each of the sentences below with a suitable word partnership taken from the advertisements.
- We’re looking for new products to add to our selling list.
- She’s an advertising executive of this team. We can’t do without her.
- You get more money if you work on the advertising company but it ruins your social life.
- He had a very good idea to solving problems.
- I didn’t get the job as a driver as I didn’t have a driving license.
- My concern are health and safety but I’m also concerned with the general welfare of employees.